This action sends a personalized push notification via OneSignal. It supports mobile and web push notifications.
If you don't yet have a OneSignal account you can create one free here. Once you have done so, you can learn how to add OneSignal to your mobile app here or website here.
How to setup the integration
There are two steps involved to setup the OneSignal integration:
1. Connect to OneSignal
You can connect to OneSignal in Settings:
Click "Connect to OneSignal" and enter your OneSignal App ID and REST API key. If you're not sure where to find these, please see this article.
2. Populate the OneSignal "External User ID" with each contact's email
In Autopilot email address is our unique identifier (sometimes also called a "user ID"). For this reason, to ensure we're sending a push notification to the right contact, we utilize OneSignal's External User ID feature.
To set this up, please use the "setExternalUserId" method and set the External User ID for each user in OneSignal to their email address in Autopilot. You can view the relevant documentation here: Android, iOS and web. This will create and association between the Autopilot contact and the OneSignal user.
What does each setting do?
This action has the following settings:
- Title (optional): the title to be displayed above the content of your notification. Supports personalization variables (see below). This will default to your app's title if you leave it empty.
- Content : the content of your message. Supports personalization variables (see below).
- Image URL (optional): an image to display on the push notification. It should be 192 x 192 px or larger, and use one of the following file types: jpg, png, gif, webp, ico, cur, bmp (svg and gif animations are not supported). Please ensure you host the image somewhere reliable and that it is publicly accessible.
- Web URL (optional): the URL to open when a contact clicks on a web push notification.
- App URL (optional): the URL to open when a contact taps a mobile push notification.
How can I personalize my push notifications?
To add personalization variables to your push notification's title or content, click on the personalization button:
With an image added, this would produce the following push notification for a contact with a first name and company:
Note: the example above is taken from an Android device.
You can also add fallback variables to handle situations where you don't have data in a field for a particular contact. Just put =insertyourfallbackhere after the variable, like in the example below for the company field:
How do I know if a push notification was sent?
The Activity Feed will let you know when a push notification could, or couldn't, be sent.
Here's an example of when a push notification was sent:
Can a contact be sent the same push notification more than once?
Yes. However, to prevent accidental duplicate messages the same contact can't be sent the same message in a one hour window.
Which devices will the push notification be sent to?
All devices that use your mobile app or subscribe to your website.
What does it mean when a contact can't be sent a push notification "because they are not a valid subscribed user in OneSignal"?
To be eligible to receive a push notification a contact needs to:
- be a subscribed user in OneSignal; and
- have the OneSignal "External User ID" populated with their email (see above).
How can I view notification delivery information and other statistics?
See OneSignal's article to find out how to access this information.
Are there character limits?
Yes. See OneSignal's article to learn more.